Saturday, September 11, 2010

Thoughts on the Anniversary

Today I feel happy, I feel reflective, wistful, and a little scared to go out into this bright blue day. But today I will be with friends and family so I will be at home. I can't help thinking about small moments I've had since 9/11/01.One of them happened a few years ago. It was late at night and I was taking a cab home. The driver seemed distressed and I asked him what was wrong. He was an Arab Muslim and he listening to a BBC news report about discrimination of his people. He was hurt and angry. And I did my best to assure him that there were still Americans who believed in peace and religious freedom and justice for all people. After we got to my block, he pulled over and we talked some more. We clasped hands and prayed for peace together and then parted ways. It was amazing because I asked and he answered and in this little moment we shared something so great.

On this anniversary, I offer that hope is free, love is free, friendship is free, forgiveness is free--and all these things are available to us whenever we need it.

No comments:

Post a Comment